Home
« Home | Next: Cork Art - Materials and Equipment »
| Next: Copper Cookware Art »
| Next: Cork Art II »
| Next: Real Estate Art »
| Next: Cork Art »
| Next: Artistic Swimming Pool Building »
| Next: Wreath Art - Materials and Equipment »
| Next: State Of The Art »
| Next: Wreath Art III »
| Next: The Art To Outsmart »

Arts and Crafts

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Go West Young Man, and Ride BART

This guest post was wriiten by Ken Walker

One of the best road trips I ever took was when I drove from Atlanta to Oakland. It was summer, and my co-worker had received a scholarship to the University of California, at Berkley. She asked me to go with her. I had always wanted to go to California, so I said,"Heck yeah!"

A week later we were ready to go. I set the code on my alarm systems I got from http://www.allhomesecurity.com/, hopped in the car and we off. We rode west on Interstate 20. The big blue Texas sky hovered overhead and scrub-grass was all around us. It reminded me of the westerns I watched as a kid.

Late that night we got to New Mexico. I could hardly contain my excitement. My co-worker was great. I had good company, intelligent, fun conversations and beautiful scenery. I was in heaven.

The next day we headed into Arizona. We visited an old silver mine in southern Arizona and planned to have lunch in Phoenix. By the time we got to Phoenix it was blazing hot. We slowed down and looked around, but it was too hot to stop. We headed into the desert.

Once we got out of the desert we were in Palm Springs. The air was yellow so we kept on moving. Our first stop was Los Angeles. We drove around on Hollywood Boulevard and people watched for a while. We left L.A. near dusk and saw the glittering lights of the San Fernando Valley stretching out before us and a star filled sky above. It was fantastic.

On the fourth day we got to Oakland. We headed straight to the UC Berkley campus. I was stunned when I drove through the Haight/Ashbury district and saw blue-jean clad flower-wearing hippies selling tie-dyed clothing, and all types of silver, turquoise and obsidian jewelry. We had lunch at the Berkley Marina overlooking a bay. During the next few days we went to Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown, and rode the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART). It was one of the best vacations I ever had. I will never forget it.

link link link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Corryc 2007 - 2014